Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Gun Nut

I sent an email to some friends a while back, because I like the Constitution and the rights it affords Americans- call me a gun nut if you will. I don't think I could dispute that.

I like the idea of hunting my own food- I can almost guarantee you that the way an animal dies in that circumstance is more humane than the way your slab of cow died in the slaughterhouse... Inflammatory? Maybe. True? It depends on the slaughterhouse, but in the vast majority of circumstances- yes.

There is nothing to fear from the responsible, legal gun owners that value safety, sport, and work with various agencies to ensure conservation and population control of various species.

What IS scary is the stance on gun control of one current presidential candidate in particular. Obama: As a state legislator in Illinois, Obama supported banning the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic firearms. You have GOT to be kidding me. This would prohibit a .22 pistol for target shooting. It would prohibit nearly EVERY modern handgun kept in safes around the nation for personal/home protection. That legislation in its original form (read: written by people who know nothing about firearms) could have prohibited sidearms carried by members of some law enforcement agencies.

In any case (no pun intended), the subsequent post is my brief email to friends re: the 2nd amendment case currently under advisement in the U.S. Supreme Court.